Website Causal Design
Creating cultures of evidence and impact
Business Development Manager or Senior Manager
Causal Design is an economic consulting firm conducting rigorous program evaluations and analyses for international development organizations around the world. Working from our global offices in Colorado, Cambodia, and Malawi we work with development actors to make data-driven decisions and create cultures of evidence and impact.
We are looking for a Business Development leader to join our team in Metro Denver, Colorado. Applicants for either a BD Manager or Senior BD Manager will be considered. A Manager will have experience working in most of the responsibilities listed below. Senior Managers will be able to demonstrate independent professional experience in the areas of responsibility. Independent professional experience is defined as having led teams or been independently responsible in these areas before.
The applicant should bring at least five years (8+ for Sr. Manager) of experience in coordinating and leading full-cycle business development initiatives for international development organizations. Working with leaders across the organization, the BD Manager/Sr Manager will implement our growth strategy, develop strategic relationships, oversee external communications, and manage our proposal pipeline. This position will lead all BD activities and report to the Director of Operations or COO. Success in this role requires a high level of organization, an ability to collaboratively manage multiple priorities and timelines, and exceptional interpersonal communication skills.
This position will be expected to lead in the following types of activities:
External Communications and Relationships
- Curate and expand our relationships within the industry to facilitate partnerships
- Develop and ensure clear branding on all external communications
- Represent Causal Design at appropriate industry events and associations
- Identify industry trends and potential future markets
- Monitor relevant procurement sources for RFPs or other opportunities
- Help ensure accurate internal self-awareness of our market position/competitiveness
- Design and manage capture activities on forecasted opportunities, including partnering strategy and staffing opportunities
- Ownership of our BD tracking database: Identifying and updating data on all potential and active opportunities
- In collaboration with other staff, lead go/no-go process for potential bids
- Lead teaming strategy and teaming conversations
- Provide routine reports on our business development pipeline and associated performance statistics
- Oversight of all proposal efforts, ensuring business development processes are followed, and leading iteration/improvement of the way we manage proposals
- Directly manage major and/or strategic bids; ensure and support effective coordination on all other bids; supervise the coordination of proposals managed by other staff
- Ensure all administrative tasks related to proposal efforts are completed, including setting up and maintaining files and records, managing teaming agreements, scheduling meetings and reviews, and collecting contract documents and partner deliverables
- Lead recruitment efforts including drafting job descriptions, conducting screen interviews, and tracking candidates and pertinent documentation
- Ensure proposals are compliant with requirements outlined in the solicitation
- Draft management or other non-technical proposal sections
- Lead the development of business volumes – supporting cost and budget elements
BD Process and Systems
- Develop and update templates and trackers (Proposal shells, kick-off templates, org charts, recruitment trackers, consultant database, etc.)
- Lead capacity building sessions on BD processes and systems for all staff, while also working individually with colleagues to build their understanding of the BD process
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field/area
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal contracting and procurement
- Minimum of 5 years (8 for Sr. Manager) combined full lifecycle business development and proposal management experience in international development
- At least 3 years of experience in BD role with USAID as a primary client
- Demonstrated networking/relationship management skills
- Proficient in Microsoft and Google’s suite of productivity products
A range of professional experiences would be highly beneficial and given special consideration. This includes:
- Demonstrated understanding of monitoring, evaluation, research, or learning activities
- Any international/overseas professional or volunteer experience
- Fluency in a foreign language
- Experience with websites, graphic design, or other communication tools and software
- Experience with communications
This is a full-time exempt position as an employee of Causal Design based in Metro Denver, Colorado. Salary will be within the salary ranges provided below and commensurate with experience:
Manager $60,331 – $78,432; Sr. Manager $72,995-$94,889
Other compensation includes participation in our 401k with a 4% company match, our QSEHRA which provides $300-500/month in tax-free health reimbursements, and travel insurance policies. Causal Design observes all 11 Federal Holidays and provides 20 days of paid time off. Additional paid time off is provided (as described in our handbook) for major family events, emergencies, and for performing certain civic duties.
All applicants must have current work authorization for the United States. We are not able to sponsor US visas or work permits. Employees are required to follow federal guidance regarding COVID prevention and vaccination.
INSTRUCTIONS: Click “APPLY FOR JOB,” complete the form; click “SEND APPLICATION.” You must include your CV on the form.