Website Causal Design
Creating cultures of evidence and impact
Economist, Senior Manager – Impact Evaluation (Grade-11)
Causal Design is an economic consulting firm conducting rigorous program evaluations and analysis for international development organizations. Our evaluations are designed to provide timely and practical information to decision makers working to end poverty and inequality.
We are looking for a social/economic researcher to join our team. While we work collaboratively on all our projects, the Impact Evaluation focused Economist will be expected to work fairly independently as they are often on site with our NGO partners (including in the field). This is primarily a technical role with some client-facing responsibilities. Economist, Senior Managers (Grade-11) are expected to spend 70% of their time directly supporting projects; the remaining time will be spent training/mentoring staff and supporting proposals for new projects.
The applicant should be an expert in at least one, and experienced and conversant in all of the following evaluation tools: econometric methods for Impact Evaluation, Cost Benefit Analysis, Cost Effectiveness Analysis, Growth Diagnostics, Program Evaluation, and M&E systems more generally.
The position is expected to participate in all aspects of our business, but the primary role is to manage a portfolio of impact evaluations. This position is Denver, CO based with extensive international travel.
This position will be expected to leverage in-depth and comprehensive technical and managerial expertise to independently complete and oversee all aspects of Impact Evaluation (IE) design and implementation across a range of complexity and client/country context across a large share of Causal Design’s portfolio of IE activity. Additionally, The position will support the development of processes as they relate to management, standardization, and quality control and assurance.
Impact Evaluation Design and Management
- Independently develop, lead, and implement impact evaluation process from design through to dissemination
- Lead and manage all aspects of data collection and data quality exercises
- Craft quantitative survey tools, sampling plans, and field manuals
- Ensure implementation of quality assurance protocols and quality control activities
- Lead or oversee enumerator training and management activity
- Carry out econometric analysis approaches including:
- Development of econometric analysis plans, including description and justification for the methods used to explore data
Impact Evaluation Team Support and Oversight
- Manage and ensure adherence to to IE unit standards, processes, and best practices
- Lead and conduct performance reviews of assigned direct reports
- Train, mentor, and manage more junior Economists on all aspects of impact evaluation delivery
Additional IE unit and General Administrative Functions
- Assist with project proposals, grant applications, or concept notes for future projects
- Lead development, implementation, and standardization of IE unit processes
- Quality control and quality assurance measures
- Technical capacity assessment and development of all technical staff
- Coordinate regularly with management level staff to implement firm-wide initiatives and protocols
- Bachelor’s Degree with 6+ years or Masters Degree with 4+ years, or a PhD with 1+years experience in Impact Evaluation.
- Degree in Public Policy, Development Economics, or Statistics
- Supervision – Two years of experience supervising technical staff or teams is strongly preferred.
- Quantitative – a strong applicant will have most, but is not required to have all, of the following:
- Extensive experience conducting impact evaluations;
- Experience conducting program performance evaluations;
- Extensive experience leading data collection (survey design, coding, and enumerator management);
- Authored applied research or policy papers where analysis is tied to practical recommendations;
- Experience working in the field with an NGO/implementor.
- Qualitative – You should have enough technical experience to be confident in managing qualitative focused evaluations from start to finish. This means translating a client’s ToR into a meaningful research plan, leading the evaluation, supporting data collection (e.g. leading focus group discussions or key informant interviews), writing in compelling, succinct, and honest language, and delivering a polished report with recommendations tied to analysis and result
We are a small firm with an ambitious vision. Our team is passionate about innovating practical evaluation strategies and providing phenomenal support to our clients working to end poverty. You should be excited about being client facing. Our goal is to support implementers – not just do research. We strongly prefer researchers who have a background or experience in implementing projects, so the more you understand and empathize with the challenges of their work the better.
This is a full-time, exempt, position as an employee role with Causal Design. The salary range is $72,995 to $94,889 and will be based on experience. Other compensation includes participation in our 401k with a 4% company match, our QSEHRA which provides $300-500/month in tax-free health reimbursements, and travel insurance policies. Causal Design observes all 11 Federal Holidays and provides 20 days of paid time off. Additional paid time off is provided (as described in our handbook) for major family events, emergencies, and for performing certain civic duties.
All applicants must have current work authorization for the United States. We are not able to sponsor US visas or work permits.
INSTRUCTIONS: Click “APPLY FOR JOB,” complete the form; click “SEND APPLICATION.” You must include your CV on the form.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Apply Today!