Join our team as a Research Manager!
*** This Position is Now Closed ***
This is an early career position open to applicants with advanced degrees and at least two years of experience in impact evaluation. It is a dynamic position that requires some able to manage every stage of an impact evaluation – from research design through to final draft. This position is client-facing. It will include the opportunity to travel to developing countries, collect data, publish original works, and add to the knowledge base used by humanitarian actors. Currently, we have projects throughout Southeast Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
Causal Design is an economic consulting firm conducting rigorous program evaluations and analysis for international development organizations. Our evaluations are designed to provide timely and practical information to decision makers working to end poverty and inequality.
We are looking for another social/economic researcher to join our team. While we work collaboratively on all our projects, the Impact Evaluation Manager will be expected to work fairly independently as they are often on site with our NGO partners (including in the field). This is a client-facing position.
The manager should be very confident in experimental and quasi-experimental evaluation design methods, have experience collecting panel data in developing countries, be proficient in STATA or R, and be able to demonstrate their experience by describing technical concepts in approachable language.
The position is expected to participate in all aspects of our business, but the primary role is to manage a portfolio of impact evaluations. This position is Washington, D.C. based with extensive international travel.
This position will be expected to engage in the following types of tasks:
- Collaborate with our clients to design rigorous and practical impact evaluations
- Craft quantitative survey tools for evaluations
- Draft econometric analysis plans, including describing and justifying the methods used to explore data
Research & Project Management
- Utilize data, previous academic literature, and the client’s program documents to create narratives for evaluation reports
- Conduct literature reviews for current or proposed projects
- Assist with project proposals, grant applications, or concept notes for future projects
- Train enumerators
- Program surveys in Open Data Kit
- Oversee projects effectively, including managing self and team, maintaining timelines and budgets, and coordinating with donors and clients
- Manage research assistants assigned to the project
- Merge datasets, clean constructed datasets, produce summary statistics, conduct difference in means tests, and store all accompanying files in an organized manner
- Use appropriate econometric tools to estimate program impacts
- Make tables, charts, and graphs to help visualize analysis for reports to clients and the general public
- Author impact evaluation reports
- Contribute in internal peer review of papers written by other staff members
- We are a start-up. Our consultants are also IT support, intentional networkers, trainers, project managers, and prolific Google-ers
- Advanced understanding of econometrics/impact evaluation methodologies
- Excellent writing skills in English (Multilingual applicants preferred)
- Experience managing impact evaluations
- Experience collecting household data (panel data preferred) in a developing country
- At least 2 years of experience cleaning and analysis data using STATA or R
- Advanced Degree in Public Policy, Development Economics, or Statistics
We are a small start-up with an ambitious vision. Our current team is passionate about innovating practical evaluation strategies and providing phenomenal support to our clients working to end poverty. We are looking for someone who, like us, is diligent and self-starting, ready to travel at a moment’s notice, and understands the challenges our clients face in implementing projects.
This is a full-time exempt position as an employee of Causal Design, Inc. Salary will be commensurate with experience. We are specifically looking for applicants with 2 or more years of impact evaluation experience.
To apply: Email your CV to Jobs(at)CausalDesign.com with “IE Manager 2017 – LastName” in the subject line. Please do not include a cover letter. However, feel free to include any motivations for applying or other relevant information in the body of the email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; only qualified applicants will be contacted by a hiring manager.
Questions? Email Jobs(at)CausalDesign.com
Causal Design is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. Causal Design will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the specified position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that Causal Design will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with Causal Design prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.