Summary ***This Position is Now Closed***
Causal Design is an economic consulting firm conducting rigorous program evaluations and analysis for international development organizations. Our evaluations are designed to provide timely and practical information to decision makers working to end poverty and inequality.
We are looking for a social/economic researcher to join our team and spearhead our evaluation operations in Malawi. While we work collaboratively on all our projects, the Evaluator will be expected to work fairly independently and often on site with our NGO partners (in the field). This is a client-facing position.
The applicant should be an expert in at least one and conversant in all of the following evaluation tools: econometric methods for Impact Evaluation, Cost Benefit Analysis, Cost Effectiveness Analysis, Growth Diagnostics, or Program Performance Evaluations. Evaluators whose skill-sets are principally qualitative are strongly encouraged to apply if they have experience collaborating on economic studies, impact evaluations, or are really enthusiastic about partnering with “quants” to add context and nuance to studies.
The position is expected to participate in all aspects of our business, but the primary role is to manage a portfolio of impact evaluations and manage business operations with support from senior management. This position is based in Malawi with expected international travel throughout Africa.
This position will be expected to engage in the following types of tasks:
- Evaluation Design
- Collaborate with our clients to design rigorous and practical impact evaluations
- Craft quantitative survey tools for evaluations
- Draft econometric analysis plans, including describing and justifying the methods used to explore data
- Research & Project Management
- Utilize data, previous academic literature, and the client’s program documents to create narratives for evaluation reports
- Conduct literature reviews for current or proposed projects
- Assist with project proposals, grant applications, or concept notes for future projects
- Train enumerators
- Program surveys in Open Data Kit
- Oversee projects effectively, including managing self and team, maintaining timelines and budgets, and coordinating with donors and clients
- Manage research assistants assigned to the project
- Data Work
- Merge datasets, clean constructed datasets, produce summary statistics, conduct difference in means tests, and store all accompanying files in an organized manner
- Use appropriate econometric tools to estimate program impacts
- Make tables, charts, and graphs to help visualize analysis for reports to clients and the general public
- Author impact evaluation reports
- Contribute in internal peer review of papers written by other staff members
- Business Development
- Manage day to day business operations of Causal Design-Malawi office to ensure compliance with all local and international business regulations
- Oversee business development and client-based relations within the region
- Everything Else
- We are a small firm. Our team members are also IT support, intentional networkers, trainers, project managers, and prolific Google-ers
A few ideal qualities that we believe will be essential for your success:
- Passion and dedication to Causal Design’s mission and values
- The self-motivation and ability to create and own a new role in a growing organization (you will be creating something)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills (you will be client-facing and managing team-members)
- Sound judgment (as a part of the management team you’ll be relied on to make a lot of difficult decisions)
- Excellent organization and multi-tasking abilities (this isn’t a generic bullet – you need to be very organized!)
This position requires an masters degree in Public Policy, Economics, or Statistics and at least two years (4+ preferred) of experience. Candidates with 8 or more years of relevant experience may be considered for a similar role at the Director level.
Preferred Skills / Experience
Quantitative – a strong applicant will have most, but is not required to have all, of the following:
- Experience coordinating impact evaluations;
- Experience conducting performance evaluations;
- Led data collection (survey design, coding, and enumerator management);
- Managed Focus Group Discussions and Key Informant Interviews ;
- Led data collection (survey design, coding, and enumerator management);
- Co-authored applied research or policy papers where analysis is tied to practical recommendations;
- Experience working in the field with an NGO/implementor.
- Experience with a donor is appreciated as well. We are dedicated to supporting the doers in our sector – so if you’ve worn those shoes before it really helps add that perspective to our work.
Qualitative – You should have enough technical experience to be confident managing an evaluation from start to finish. This means translating a client’s ToR into a meaningful research plan, leading the evaluation, writing in compelling, succinct, and honest language, and delivering a polished report with recommendations tied to analysis and results.
Operations Management – Applicant should feel comfortable acclimating quickly to new business climates and environments. While we don’t expect you to be an expert in business regulations in Malawi – we will expect you to be motivated to research, manage, and comply with all existing laws to support normal business practice.
We are a small, but rapidly growing firm with an ambitious vision. Our team is passionate about innovating practical evaluation strategies and providing phenomenal support to our clients working to end poverty. You should be excited about being client facing. Our goal is to support implementers – not just do research. We strongly prefer researchers who have a background or experience in implementing projects, so the more you understand and empathize with the challenges of their work the better.
Each member of our team has something they are passionate about professionally. For some of us it’s statistics, others a sector like WASH or the Environment; maybe you really love Malawi! We want you to bring that enthusiasm and specialized knowledge to our team. At the same time, our team members are expected to be curious and multidisciplinary. Our clients work in every sector and geography where poverty exists – you should be prepared to as well.
We are looking for something who is ready to invest and build. Our team is growing and our firm is maturing. We ask everyone to help us make it a better place to work, and the company a better partner to our clients. If we do something for the first time we’ll ask you to create a process or system – so it is that much easier for the next person.
This is a full-time exempt position as an employee of Causal Design, Inc. Salary will be commensurate with experience. We are specifically looking for applicants with 2 or more years of directly applicable impact evaluation experience and demonstrated capacity to manage multiple projects and a dynamic portfolio while remaining managing compliance in new business environments.
To apply: Email your CV to Jobs(at)CausalDesign.com with “Country Manager 2018– LastName” in the subject line. Please do not include a cover letter. However, feel free to include any motivations for applying or other relevant information in the body of the email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; only qualified applicants will be contacted by a hiring manager.
Questions? Email Jobs(at)CausalDesign.com